SARFS stands for Small Accessible Repairs For Seniors, a city-funded program*, which provides safety, security & accessibility improvements in the dwellings of eligible seniors.
For What Purpose?
To help seniors remain in their homes and improve the quality of their lives, with appropriate repairs and installations of safety equipment, security improvements, and other items, which make homes easier for seniors to use.
What Kinds of Improvements Are Eligible?
- Safety devices: fire extinguishers, smoke detectors, carbon monoxide detectors
- Minor floor and step repairs
- Repair & replacement of locking hardware on doors
Accessibility Installations and Improvements
- Grab bars, transfer benches & tub assist bars in bathrooms
- Chair-height toilets
- Accessible faucets
- Handheld showers
Who Is Eligible?
- Senior citizens, 60 years or older, who meet HUD income eligibility guidelines. For example, $46,350 maximum for a family or household of 2 (But call to verify maximum income for your household!)
- Owners or renters (with landlord’s permission), living in single family homes or multi-family buildings from 1- 4 units
- Those with residences located in Wards 1, 2, 24, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 35, 38 & 44. (Those in other Wards should call North Branch Works.)
Who Do I Contact?
Misty LeBlanc at (773) 929- 5552 ext. 2235
* The SARFS program is a free program for seniors funded by the City of Chicago – Department of Planning and Development.